Friday, July 3, 2009

Independence Is NOT Free


Having just written about freedom for those in Iran, I would be remiss if I didn't write about our own freedom! First of all, let me say that I LOVE Independence Day and all the celebrations that we Americans have during this time! Many thousands, if not MILLIONS have died in the past 200+ years as we struggled to have independence and then as we continue to wrestle with those who would take it away.Whether an enemy on foreign soil, or those politicians who would strip our freedoms away, our liberty is constantly in question!

Why is freedom so desired? Why have we seen countless Americans die for the cause of this word: freedom? Look again at the situation in Iran as those young rebels stand in the very face of death and they decry that their vote was hindered, not even counted, by those who are in power and desirous of keeping that power, even if it means killing their own citizens to keep it!??

What cost freedom and liberty?? I think sometimes we are totally oblivious to the freedoms we have, freedom of speech, freedom to worship...or to not worship, freedom to bear arms, freedom to peacibly assemble...and countless other freedoms that we enjoy but take for granted!

In America, I think oftentimes people forget one fact though: "Your freedom ends where my freedom begins!" You don't have the right nor the freedom to infringe on my freedom and rights, whether in word or in deed!

Let freedom ring, on this Independence Day 2009!!

No comments: