Friday, October 2, 2009

Growing Old (er)


Yesterday I reached a new milestone-52 years old! "Blessed with the joy of living" is what local radio host Pat Shannon says daily on his 'Home Ad' show when someone asks him how he is doing...And I am as well! God has been good to me these 52 years and I have to proclaim His goodness to all! That's not to say that life has been a 'box of chocolates either, but in the grand scheme of things life has been good!


Christy and I took a "Day-cation" on Wednesday to commerate the beginning of my 'Birthday Celebration", which is a month-long (at least) observance of the passing of time--at least I celebrate that long!!! We drove up to the Parkway and went to Doughton Park (where we had about a 6 mile hike)and on to The Cascades (which was beautiful!), both of which can be easily accessed by going up Hwy. 21 to right above Roaring Gap. It was a GORGEOUS day, chilly and windy but an awesome day of hiking and scenic photography! I took 561 pictures(!) of which a few came out to look pretty nice, but it was a great way to start the festivities!! We are definitely going to return there again!! BTW--I took an even 1800 pictures last month!!!! Definitely a record!!!!!

We are hoping to go to Horse & Mule Days in Denton next weekend for another opportunity to add to the collection of pictures that we are taking!! Our State and other magazines are awaiting our entries!!


I've had a short vacation away from my duties at Grace in the past 2 weeks as well and with a couple of Homecomings to maybe attend, I may have a couple more weeks 'off'. I enjoy doing the PowerPoint there at church but I have two capable assistants and I need to 'grow my team' so this gives tham an opportunity to bloom as well!!


I'm still unemployed (obviously!) but it has come at a very good time for me considering the declining health of my Dad, who has Esophaegal Cancer, which they have determined to be terminal. Of course, man cannot make that declaration, only God can make such a claim, but as far as man goes his time on this side of eternity is seemingly short. We all "like grass wither away" and it is "appointed man once to die" as I myself must face one day if not for the Rapture first but it is a difficult time to watch him grow increasingly more taken by this dreaded disease. Who would think that a condition that multiplies cells within your body could have such a horrible effect on your health?? An almost silent killer, at least there is no visible signs of it, but one that has taken more loved ones than I care to even say! Even now, we have another dear friend who is fighting off this growing fire within. When will it stop... and WILL it before Jesus comes??


Growing older has other issues too as our own health may be in question and countless other 'bumps in the raod' happen as time marches on. But you know, the neat thing about it is.....God's ALREADY there!!

No comments: