Thursday, October 8, 2009

Will I May


Denise and I had a conversation yesterday that made me do some thinking and altho I have no root answers, I have given it some thought! What to do about it is obvious, but but therein lies the complexity of it. What to do with all my stuff!!??


As persons who have passed the age of 50 we are realizing how stupid it is to not have a will. Along with the fact that there will never be any $$$ money to squabble about because even now there is never enough even in the good times and that is even magnified during these "difficult financial times", which is 'Demo-eze' for recession, which equals no jobs, which equals no money $$$! I can make light of this in that I am in my second...yes second major lay-off in four years and after having worked for the past 31 years without much incident, it qualms at the shock of having to go thru this yet again!


It has however come at a interesting time given the fact that my Dad has esophageal cancer and his lifespan looks to be shorter than longer. I am Blessed and fortunate to have this opportunity to be 'off' to at least be available to be there and spend some time with him, since I didn't as a youth, but that is for another story. The story now is: will I??!


It's a sad story too as I realize that two of my children have absolutely no dealings with me whatsoever and there are two who are on the fringes, who are there when convenient and it pleases them. Ok, I can deal with that sortof...it is what it is and truth in relationships has long been not-so-much in my family for gemerations now so it is basically par for the course! One has already gone home to be with Jesus so he has no need for 'stuff' anymore and there is one who is likely the only one who will be there till the end! Toche!


In that I have stuff that will have no face value to any one after I am gone for much of my stuff has been around for a lot of my life. Baseball cards that were worth anything have long ago been sold and the sheer numbers of those 'left behind' is enormous if not lucrative! Baseball, NASCAR, and few football which mostly consists of Carolina Panthers and an assortment of those whom I really don't know the value...which in these 'difficult financial times' cards are NOT a priority in any person's imagination, even my own! As a long-time collector I have gone high and low to collect those that I had and have, but today the collection is all but worthless. My Lou Brock cards (he has been my lifetime favorite player for the St. Louis Cardinals!!) remain my all-time favorites, and in the Beckett his cards are fairly expensive...the truth is that a person would never get out of them what I have put into them!


A will, a will....hmmm what I mostly leave behind besides stuff is a legacy of what?? Broken relationships, forgotten promises, burned bridges, backward thinking, do I need to go on?? My hope would be to leave behind at least this: the absolute importance of finding and having a relationship with Jesus Christ and to know Him as Lord and Savior and having a lasting relationship with Him. That would be what I would want to leave behind--not so much by my own example but because of His Gift to us!


Will I may...



No comments: